Kia Ora from Kiwi Land!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Aslan

In reality however he [Aslan] is an invention giving an imaginary answer to the question, “What might Christ become like, if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He has actually done in ours?” (C.S. Lewis)

Since studying C. S. Lewis’s best-selling fiction The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in intermediate school, the great lion king of Narnia, Aslan, has been permanently etched in my memory. However, I failed to retain Lewis’ “story within a story” and hence any deeper significance of this gentle but potentially ferocious lion. I waited in anticipation for The Chronicles of Narnia to be released at the cinema earlier this year, eager to re-discover Aslan afresh with Lewis’ deliberate parallels with my Lord Jesus.

Lewis presents images of Christ and Christ’s intervention through the character of Aslan. We see innocent Aslan lay down his life in an amazing act of love for the guilty Edmund. Edmund broke a law in Narnia that resulted in the death penalty. This story corresponds with the Bible’s teaching that we are all law-breakers and that “the wages of sin is death” (Rom 6:23). Fortunately, just as Aslan died in Edmund’s place, help has been offered to us to escape eternal separation from God; Jesus Christ suffered and died on the cross taking the punishment for our sins on himself (Rom 5:8). He then rose from the dead three days later to offer forgiveness and new life to anyone who accepts this gift.

“The gospel summarizes what God does for man, whereas the law summarizes what he wants man to do”[1]. Lewis presents these two fundamental aspects of God’s Word in the Narnia stories. The law is the “deep magic from the dawn of time” on which Narnia is founded, and which rules over everyone’s destiny, including Aslan’s. The gospel is the “yet deeper magic from the dawn of time.”

After Aslan is resurrected he explains to the children that the Witch, a part of God’s creation like themselves and the animals, knows the Deep Magic, but her knowledge only goes back to the dawn of time. If she could look a little further back she would know that “when a willing victim who had not committed treachery was killed in a traitor’s stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward”.

Aslan lays down his life, so no one takes it from him (John 10:17-19). Aslan cannot disobey the Deep Magic, for that would be a violation of his Father’s eternal law. “Aslan’s story, like Christ’s, is one of playing the rules, rules he himself has ordained in order to provide righteousness and justice.” [2] Aslan is willing to lay down his life in order to save Edmund and Narnia, to be taken up again under his Father’s embrace. The subsequent scene where Aslan breathes life back into those the Witch had turned into stone statues is a picture of our new life in Christ as he forgives us and resurrects us out of the death of our old selves.

I was surprised to find that in The Chronicles of Narnia there is a restraint of divine, miraculous intervention. For example, when Susan blows her magic horn, both Aslan and Peter come running to help, but Aslan does not simply defeat the enemy. Instead, Aslan takes down one wolf and calls on Peter to fight the second. This type of human agency may simply be to add drama to the story. But it also demonstrates that Aslan wanted humans to take an offensive role in the events of the world. I am reminded of Apostle Paul’s plea for believers to “be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power” and to “put on the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil” (Eph 6:10-11). Indeed, Christ never leaves us to fight our battles on our own; we have assurance that “the Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one” (2 Thes 3:3).

Redemption, the gospel, believers’ ability to overcome evil, and other such theological themes that Lewis develops in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe are clearly based on his own personal conviction and experience. They serve to challenge readers and viewers alike to imagine the presence of Christ and the impact of his intervention. It was to my delight that after revisiting Narnia through the film I found Lewis’ alternative world created as an allegory with the gospel. I was left identifying with Lucy’s longing for Aslan, the king of Narnia, to return, as I too long for my Saviour, the King of kings, to do the same.

[1] Markus Muhling, A Theological Journey into Narnia. (Germany: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2006):90.
[2] Bruce Edwards, Further Up & Further In (Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman & Holman, 2005):90.

4 Comments:

  • Carly,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. Unfortunately I can't agree with this statement:
    "Fortunately, just as Aslan died in Edmund’s place, help has been OFFERED to us to escape eternal separation from God... He then rose from the dead three days later to OFFER forgiveness and new life..."

    What God (Aslan in this case) did was not just to "offer" or "help" us escape from eternal separation from God, but rather through His sacrifical death He actually "BROUGHT US TO GOD". (1 Peter 3:18)

    Here is a quote by John Piper:
    "There are many Scriptures which say that the death of Christ was designed for the salvation of God's people, not for every individual. For example:

    John 10:15, "I lay down my life for the sheep." The sheep of Christ are those whom the Father draws to the Son. "You do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep." Notice: being a sheep enables you to become a believer, not vice versa. So the sheep for whom Christ dies are the ones chosen by the Father to give to the Son.

    In John 17:6,9,19 Jesus prays, "I have manifested Thy name to the men whom Thou gavest me out of the world; Thine they were, and Thou gavest them to me...I am praying for them; I am not praying for the world but for those whom Thou hast given me, for they are thine...And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth." The consecration in view here is the death of Jesus which he is about to undergo. His death and his intercession us uniquely for his disciples, not for the world in general.

    John 11:51-52, "[Caiaphas] being high priest that year prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation, and not for the nation only, but to gather into one the children of God who are scattered abroad." There are children of God scattered throughout the world. These are the sheep. These are the ones the Father will draw to the Son. Jesus died to gather these people into one. The point is the same as John 10:15-16, "I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice." Christ died for his sheep, that is, for the children of God."

    I am curious for your comment and any one else's.

    By Blogger M&M in Japan, at 4:44 pm  

  • Hey, Carly,

    You explained the movie in Biblical terms better than anyone I've talked to who's seen the movie. Good on ya! Thanks for focusing our attention on the GOOD NEWS of the Gospel... that God does, indeed, love the WORLD, and gave His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross and that WHOSOEVER believes in Him will have everlasting life.

    Just as Aslan in the movie came to the rescue of an undeserving Edmund, "...at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly."

    Carly, you're doing a great job going "into the world" and preaching "the good news to ALL creation"! Keep it up.

    For anyone reading this, here are some more verses for thought and an interesting website with comments on Calvinism and Free-Will Baptists on it. Again, just food for thought.

    Romans 5:6
    Romans 5:8
    John 3:16
    2 Corinthians 5:14

    Website: http://my.homewithgod.com/firstbaptistchurch/Sermons/calvinism.html

    Angela L.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 pm  

  • Hi you guys,

    Thanks so much for your comments! I've cut and paste parts of this posting on 'Aslan' from a reflection I did for my Christology class. I'll know to put my work on line for feedback before I submit it next time :)

    Another book of John Piper's which really encouraged me was "A Hunger for God." He spurs us on to see God as the supreme hunger of our heart, and consequently supreme in everything... when we are most satisfied in God, He is most glorified in us. Definitely worth a read.

    Love Carly T

    By Blogger Carly and Wayne Mulqueen, at 9:46 am  

  • Oops, I also forgot to include 1John 2:2. Good stuff! *smile*

    "He [Jesus Christ] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."

    Angela L.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home