Kia Ora from Kiwi Land!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Experiencing Culture Shock

Nimen hao ma?

I'm over my dizzy spells, but still battling stomach pain. Hmmm, all part of the cultural experience I suppose! Thank you for your emails and blogspot comments.

My weekend in Mangshi and Ruili was pretty incredible. What really struck me was the beauty of the Dai people. The women always look so elegant in their long skirts and long straight hair up in special hair pieces. I can't wait to show you some photos! The scenery was stunning as well, apparently similar to what you see in Northern Thailand. Green paddy fields stretched out below the Myanmar mountains. Ruili was quite shocking. I still can't get over the hundreds of young prostitutes. The drugs, gambling and sex industry is thriving and so many are suffering for it.

Our hotel had me in hysterical laughter. After sleeping with the light on to deter more roaches from coming my way, it was just too classic to have one wander straight through the room in the morning light! I tried to be brave like I had to be when I stayed in that old 'machiya' in Kyoto, but it seems I may have had too long in hygenic surroundings with only the odd 'nice(?)cockroach from Gisborne'!

A team arrived from Whangerai, New Zealand, yesterday. I've been helping my host orientate them this morning and am now doing some proof-reading regarding feedback from people in rural areas who have received wheelchairs donated from the States. This evening we're going to practice a poi dance and a few other items for the leprosy victims we're visiting tomorrow. It sure is all go around here!

In answer to your question Angela; the Three-Self Church is recognized and monitored by the Chinese government. Anyone is free to attend. They are restricted in their teaching, but this is not hindering much fruit being produced. I was surprised to find out that they hold English services to attract Chinese interested in learning English. There was even a Three-Self Church in one of the Dai villages in Mangshi, but the services were only in Han Chinese language. I'm pretty sure Three-Self stands for "Self-Providing" "Self-Governing" "Self-Propoganding".

I hope you're all well. I'd love to hear more of your news too! So much love Carly T :)

2 Comments:

  • Hi Carly, it sounds like there is plenty of room to contribute to the local area there! Wheelchairs from the States! amazing :-)

    How large are the roaches?Apparently if you poke your tongue at the cockroaches they run away, but you have to wait until they're pretty close b/c their eye sight is not too good.

    I never knew you could do the Poi dance! Is that something you learnt up north in NZ? I think you should show us when you get back:-) There are Italian women doing the Haka for Fiat cars on TV which the local Iwi are getting up in arms about. So as long as you don't go commercial with the Poi dancing you should be fine:-)

    Cheeky Wayne

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 pm  

  • Hello again, Ka Li! ;-D

    You should find someone to write your name out for you in Chinese! Each syllable would have a different character and meaning. It'd be interesting to see what Carly turned out to mean!

    The scene in Ruili must have been heartbreaking. One of the girls at the Mission said the same thing about Phuket, Thailand (although I don't it was in nearly as large a scale).

    Cockroaches, gross. I had one in my hotel room in Seoul. Mind you it was a cheap hotel and there were 'couples' going in and out of the same room across the hall all nite! Yiikes! Anyhoo....

    Praying for your continued safety as you wing over to M'sia. Have a great time there!

    Love,

    Angela

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home