Bible College of New Zealand

I don’t really know where to start with raving about how amazing BCNZ is!!! I’ve already learnt so much and been challenged in my faith in only positive ways - that I may grow closer to our Lord and more founded in the Word. It’s so exciting to be on campus with such a diverse group of people of different nationalities, denominations and ages. As we sit and discuss what we’ve learnt and been made to reflect on over lunch, I’m making wonderful friends who I’ll gradually introduce to you :)
I’ve attached a few photos - the library where I’ll be spending hours and hours this year!, one sitting round with friends in the quad, and then a couple of shots at the BCNZ bach at Piha during orientation week - it’s in the most idyllic spot right on the black-sand west-coast beach an hour from central Auckland.
I’m taking 6 papers this semester:
Old Testament Introduction A
New Testament Introduction A
Interpretive Method A
Theological Method
Christianity and World Religions
Personal Spirituality
Here’s an excerpt of a journal I’ve been keeping for Personal Spirituality...
The Footprints of God in My Spiritual Growth
Having been predominantly at the same church since deciding to follow Jesus as Lord nearly nine years ago, and having never studied church history before, it has been fascinating to learn of the five movements that have influenced the church to date and their distinguishing traits: 1) the contemplative movement or ‘the life of openness to God’, 2) the holiness movement or ‘the life of victory over sin’, 3) the social justice movement or ‘the life of compassion to others’, 4) the charismatic movement or ‘the life empowered by the Spirit’, and 5) the evangelical movement or ‘the life based on the Word of God’. I have found it eye-opening to stop and reflect on the traditions that have influenced my life this far and constructive to ponder over which traits I would like to develop further.
Attending an Anglican school from age five to eighteen I had many opportunities to reflect in silence and prayer during our daily chapel services. Despite not ever understanding that Jesus longed for a personal and intimate relationship with me, it was through times of solitude that I came to grasp that God is to be revered as a holy and truly ‘awesome’ God. In this way my first experience of the church was of the contemplative tradition.
Our school motto was ut serviamus, which translates ‘that we may serve’. In accordance, we were encouraged to serve one another at school, at home amongst our families and within the community. This education grounded me in ‘the life of compassion for others’ rooted in the social justice movement.
I came to a saving knowledge of Jesus while attending a non-denominational church in Japan. I decipher this church as of the evangelical tradition, with the giveaway being a strong emphasis on a life based on the Word of God.
I had the opportunity to attend numerous other churches when visiting family in New Zealand. There seemed to be a much freer style of worship in most of the churches that I visited than I was accustomed to. It has been interesting to hear that this freedom was not always as apparent in New Zealand, and that it has been the charismatic movement that has revolutionized the way New Zealanders worship across denominations over the past twenty or thirty years.
Having just moved back to New Zealand I am looking for a church in which to settle. After spending years in an evangelical church it comes naturally to me to spend time reading the Scriptures and sharing my faith. I also love to spend time with God in prayer. It is the active presence of the Holy Spirit in my life for which I currently yearn. For this reason, it is towards churches which encourage the life empowered by the Spirit that I feel the greatest pull and potential for personal growth.
I am aware that with no perfect people on earth and consequently no perfect churches it is difficult not to stress some areas more and in turn given to extremes. It is a church which finds a balance of each of the traditions’ strengths -- 1) prayer, 2) striving against sin, 3) ministering and healing by the power of the Holy Spirit, 4) showing compassion, and 5) preaching and teaching on the Scriptures -- which I ultimately seek.
Jesus’ life reflected balance. Jesus was devoted to God, He had virtue in His thoughts, words, and actions, He had Spirit empowerment in His ministry, He showed compassion toward all people, and he evangelised the lost. As I strive to be more like Jesus, it is balance both in my personal life and in the church that I also seek.

1 Comments:
Hi Naomi, wow, the countdown's really on for you course now! Enjoy your last few weeks before your study sets in :) Love heaps Carly
By
Carly and Wayne Mulqueen, at 7:52 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home